Thursday, February 12, 2009

Auspicious Days

The Balinese Calendar says that the 13th of February, 2009 is the best day ...

- To go hunting
- Propose a girl
- To put the roof for the house

Hmmm... I'm hunting for a place to live but I'm not sure that's what is meant! As for proposals, unfortunately I don't know a girl to "propose!" Now putting a roof for the house, my condo in Seattle already has a roof... so unless there's something I should know (fellow condo owners?) I don't think it needs one. Guess I'll just have to stick with this being a good day for walking, walking and more walking.

I've spent much of the morning looking for inexpensive housing and walking all over Ubud and talking to every homestay owner I can find! I'm finding places in the range from 35,000 Rupiah/night to 100,000 (about $3-9 USD / night). While that sounds very cheap, keep in mind that I am traveling for a year with limited funds so I was hoping for something less expensive than $3/nt for 6 weeks. I still have to pay for food and laundry. The room for 35,000 Rp was pretty uh... well rustic. I don't mind not having a western toilet (this one did) and I actually really don't mind cold water given the option for a cheaper room but I prefer someplace with less bugs? :-)

I just took a break to drink watermelon juice and to buy a large bottle of water. Nice how sitting for 30 minutes and resting can help ones perspective! Maybe "drinking watermelon juice" could be on the list of Auspicious Days.

No comments: