Wednesday, November 5, 2008

ps...Upper Pisang

A few days back (about 5) I was really sick with the diarrhea and did an amazing trek with Gina. We often leave after Peter and Mascha because they like to leave earlier and sometimes go faster. So Gina and I did a route that many trekkers don't do. It's above the "Upper Pisang" route that is on the map. Ours was a dotted line without much detail. It ascends steeply and it's the route that the locals take to summit Pisang Peak. We reached an incredible viewpoint and then did a horizontal route until we decided to descend again to Guaru (?) I don't remember the lunch spot. It took us 5 hours to do what the Upper Pisang route does in 2-3 hours. We then had to trek 2 hours to Ngawall where we met the others (who were pretty worried at this point) for our lodging. I lasted about another hour before completely collapsing in my bag. Try having really bad diarrhea and being sick (having gone 5-7 times the night/morning before) and then having to go during the day while hiking and... ugh. And imagine having to squat over holes in the floor or on a dry trail and you have to remember to bring toilet paper. There are also no showers at this point as we're too high above the river. You get a bucket of water and if the lodge is friendly they'll heat it for you. :-) But YAY for water baths!! :-) Yeah, I know... too many details! But I hope I never get sick like that again! And this is me being really careful with my food and adding iodiine to my water and sanitizing and washing my hands!

But... back to the trek... that day was incredible!

Now I'm realizing I am spending my food trekking money on the internet... cheers and Namaste!

1 comment:

Alan Leong said...

Joyann,

I am sorry to hear about the Dire Rhea. It really sounds miserable. Did you need some special water disinfectant pills? STERIpen?

The squatting? Yes, I saw that in China.

You're having the experience of a lifetime. Keep trekking.